Richard E. Groff, 88, died at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at his home in Alton. Born May 5, 1932 in Wyandotte, MI, he was the son of Paul J. and Ruth (Jones) Groff. Mr. Groff served in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Korean War. He retired from the shipping and receiving department of Owens Illinois. On April 30, 1955 he married the former Nancy J. Groff in Alton. She preceded him on December 30, 2015. Surviving is a daughter, Vanessa Groff of Alton, a son, Thomas Groff (Alice) of Alton, grandchildren, Alison and Ashley Witcher, Jeffrey Kinser and Melanie Smith, great grandchildren, Katlyn, David, Kyle and Clinton. Along with his parents and wife, he was preceded in death by a sister, Emmy Lou Dallape and a half sister, Kathy Jo Look. There will be no services. Gent Funeral Home in Alton is in charge of arrangements. Online guestbook and information may be found at www.gentfuneralhome.com
Sign up for daily obituaries
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
- State removes some COVID-19 restrictions in four area counties
- Christina O'Reilly
- Alton School District to name West Gym after longtime coach, teacher
- Roquel Brown
- Missouri residents charged in shooting of SIUE student
- Sandra K. Beckman
- IDPH reporting COVID-19 vaccination data online
- Bethalto family opens new storage facility
- Three Godfrey trustees back business stimulus program
- IDPH reports woman's death from COVID-19 in Madison County